Join the lab
Join the lab
We would like to welcome all who have a strong interest and the academic qualifications for electric space propulsions to our laboratory. You can join us as a graduate student or a postdoctoral fellow or in form of a short visiting researcher. You can find the information for the different types below.
Our laboratory accepts students from the following universities:
- The University of Tokyo, Graduate School of Engineering, Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics.
- For joint research projects, Prof. Takao and Prof. Hyakutake at Yokohama National University.
- Students from other universities may be also admitted for joint research projects, after consulting with Prof. Nishiyama.
It is highly recommended that students contact Prof. Nishiyama prior to your admission procedure.(E-mail: nishiyama at ep.isas.jaxa.jp)
The postdoctoral fellowships you can apply to in order to enter ISAS/JAXA are as follows:
- JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship
- JAXA Project Research Assistantship
- JAXA International Top Young Research Fellowship
Short Term Visiting
The possibilities for a short-term internship at our laboratory are shown below:
- JSPS Summer Program
The Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) offers students, with either an US, Canadian, UK, French or German citizenship, every year an opportunity for short term research of approximately two months during summer at JAXA. You can find more detailed information concerning the eligibility, schedule and financial support for the JSPS Summer Program at their website.
- JAXA Internship Program
Unlike the other internships, there is no financial support provided, so that the funding for your stay have to be either defrayed by yourself or a third party. The period of stay can range from ten days up to one year or be without a time limit depending on the way of the internship. Please visit the website of JAXA.
- Monbukagakusho Scholarship from MEXT
- JSPS Young Researcher Fellowship for Doctoral Course
- Private Scholarships
Japanese companies in some countries offer scholarships for studying in Japan. Please consult the Academic Section of your country’s Japanese embassy for details of potential availabilities.
- Japan Society for Aeronautical and Space Science (JSASS)
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- International Symposium on Space Technology and Science (June-July, every two years, Japan)
- AIAA Joint Propulsion Conference (Summer, every year, USA)
- International Electric Propulsion Conference (Fall, every two years, international)
- 宇宙科学技術連合講演会 (Fall, every year, Japan)
- 航空原動機・宇宙推進講演会 (Spring, every two years, Japan)
- Asian Joint Conference on Propulsion and Power (Spring, every two years, Japan/China/Korea)
- Space Transportation Symposium (hosted by our laboratory, January, every year, Japan)
Attendance to other conferences will be determined based on the research topic and output.
Potential Career Paths After Graduation
Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA), NEC, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Mitsubishi Electric Corp., IHI, Toshiba, Nippon Steel, Honda, Mazda, The University of Tokyo, Muroran Institute of Technology, All Nippon Airlines (ANA), Japan Airlines (JAL), METI, NTT, other technology and manufacturing companies, securities companies, banking, consulting etc.
Welcome party for new students.
ISAS-JAXA Open Campus
Summer lab trip
Welcome/Farewell party for internationals
Hosting the Space Transportation Symposium
Defense of thesis